This delicious Vegan and Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie recipe, includes a gluten-free crust recipe from the book Pies and Tarts with Heart by Dynise Balcavage. The pumpkin pie is just to die for! I love the consistency and the flavors.
I don’t think I will ever go back to using canned pumpkin for baking anymore. I will get my own sweet, small pie pumpkins and bake them. I adapted a recipe that came on a flier with the pie pumpkins I purchased at the grocery store. The recipe for the pumpkin pie follows below. I used fresh baked pie pumpkins for the filling for this pie. You can find out how to bake, prepare and puree whole pie pumpkins here.
Gluten-Free Crust Recipe
- 1 1/4 cups gluten-free flour I used the Pure Pantry All Purpose Baking Mix
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 to 1/8 teaspoon xantham gum I did not use because the Pure Pantry Mix has it in the mix
- 2 Tablespoons margarine Vegan
- 4 Tablespoons shortening I didn't have any so used coconut oil
- 3 - 6 Tablespoons ice-cold water
- Dice the margarine and shortening and add to the flour & salt mixture. Blend well, handling as little as possible while adding the ice-water.
- Blend until dough just holds together.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Then roll out and place dough into pie pan.
- NOTE: I found I could not roll this dough no matter how I tried. So I dumped it into my pie dish and finger pressed it up the sides and into the bottom.
- This worked well. I poured my prepared pumpkin pie puree into the pie crust and baked.
- Bake as you would any recipe calling for uncooked pie crust.
Tempting Tuesday's Recipe: Pumpkin Pie Recipe Dairy and Gluten Free
- Pulp from 2 small pie pumpkins pre-baked and pureed. Approximately 2 cups pumpkin puree.
- 3 large eggs organic
- 3/4 cup organic sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice I used Spice Island brand
- 12 onz So Delicious Original Coconut Milk CREAMER
- 1 pie shell
- Blend together the eggs, sugar, salt, pumpkin pie spices and coconut creamer until well blended.
- Add the pumpkin puree.
- Pour into unbaked pie shell.
- Bake 375 for 15 minutes
- Turn oven to 350 and bake an additional 55 minutes.
- Cool and serve with your favorite dairy free topping.
I love the flakiness of this gluten-free pie crust even if I had to hand press it into the pie dish. I will be using this recipe again for more pies! I love this pumpkin puree recipe for Pumpkin Pie! So healthy baking up my own pumpkins.