This week’s Easy Tater Tot Casserole Recipe is coming to us from Jenni at Sweet Pennies from Heaven. Here is a bit about Jenni: “I’m Jenni and I’m a deal blogger who started couponing a few years ago when I was forced to because of the old, “living paycheck to paycheck” lifestyle. Yes, we still say that we live paycheck to paycheck but who doesn’t in this day and age?! With coupons and deals though, our paychecks stretch a whole lot farther! ” Jenni also has a Recipe Box section on her blog.
I want to add that although this easy covered dish calls for hamburger and cheese, Vegans and Dairy-Free eaters can make changes to make this recipe work for them! There are Vegan hamburger crumbles that can be substituted and there are many dairy free cheeses that can be substituted. So check this Easy Tater Tot Casserole Recipe out. And enjoy!
Tater Tot Easy One Pot Meal Recipe:
1 1/2 lb ground round OR Vegan meat substitute crumbles
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup frozen peas, thawed (or 14.5 oz can French-style green beans, drained) whichever you prefer
1 1/2 tablespoons gluten-free Worcestershire sauce OR leave out.
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper
32 oz package frozen potato tots
*Ore-Ida Tater Tots are a gluten free brand (but always double check in case ingredient lists change!)
8 oz package of shredded cheese OR Daiya Vegan Cheese
1. Brown ground round and onion in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring to crumble; drain well.
2. Stir in peas, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, sugar, cornstarch, salt and pepper.
3. Pour mixture into a lightly greased 13×9-inch baking dish.
4. Add a layer of cheese and then top evenly with tots.
5. Bake in preheated oven, at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, to 1 hour or until thoroughly heated and tots are golden.
6. Serve and enjoy!
This is an excellent make ahead and freeze meal. If you’re making one or 2 extra pans to freeze for later, use these instructions.
1. Follow instructions 1 and 2 above.
2. Then, line a 13×9-inch baking dish with heavy-duty nonstick aluminum foil, allowing several inches of foil to extend over sides.
3. Pour mixture into prepared dish; add a layer of cheese and then top evenly with tots.
4. Cover and freeze 2 to 3 hours or until firm
5. Remove from baking dish by holding edges of foil; fold foil over casserole.
6. Wrap in additional foil, making sure it is tightly sealed.
7. Freeze up to 1 month.
8. To serve, thaw in refrigerator overnight.
9. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
10. Place foil-wrapped casserole in a lightly greased 13×9-inch baking dish.
11. Uncover top, and bake 45 minutes to 1 hour or until thoroughly heated and tots are golden.