Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a small fee to keep this blog running.
This Red Lentil Chili Recipe is made in the Instant Pot for an easy weeknight meal! Packed full of flavor, this will become a family favorite!
Are you afraid of Pressure Cookers? I sure was, I knew there were wonderful easy meals that could be made using a pressure cooker but the thought of it blowing up scared me to death! I had only seen the kind of pressure cooker that you put on a stove top and it had the little rattling pressure value that hisses and swirls around. I just couldn’t bring myself to use one because my mind imagined all kinds of events with the cooker blowing up and hitting me in the head and blowing food all over the place.
My friend Bobbi, had just recently purchased an electric Pressure Cooker called a Instant Pot highly recommended by Chef AJ. Bobbi has had a fear of pressure cookers, like I had, but swares this one is so easy to use! So we cooked up a Red Lentil Chili Recipe from Chef AJ. The recipe is in the booklet that comes with the Instant Pot but I have it for you below! This electric Pressure Cooker looked very easy to use. It has all kinds of safety bells & whistles. When you close the lid, it sings to you so you know you did it right. Then when you turn it on and put in the time recommended for cooking, it slowly brings the cooker up to pressure then the time for cooking shows in the indicator. It will cook for the amount of time you had selected and then it slowly releases the pressure automatically and when it is done switches to a warm mode! NOT having to sit and watch that pressure gauge so it stays within range constantly is such a bonus!
There are 11 settings to choose from and you can choose a pre-programmed setting for specific things like:
- beans & chili
- slow cook
- meat & stew
If you have a pressure cooker try this recipe and if you don’t have one you can buy the Instant Pot HERE.
And all I have to say about this recipe is WOW, OMG my mouth is bursting with flavor! This is so delicious. It’s vegan, salt-free, gluten-free and absolutely yummy! I never expected such flavor. OMG you must make this recipe!
Red Lentil Chili Recipe by Chef AJ
Red Lentil Chili Recipe by Chef AJ (Vegan)
- 1 lb red lentils
- 7 cups water
- 29 ounce salt free diced tomatoes fire roasted preferred
- 1 - 6 ounce can of salt-free tomato paste
- 10 ounces of chopped onion approximately one large onion
- 1 lb of red bell pepper diced approximately 2 large peppers
- 3 ounces pitted dates 12 Deglet Noor or 6 Medjool
- 8 cloves of garlic finely minced
- 4 TBs Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1.5 TBs Parsley Flakes
- 1.5 TBs Oregano
- 1.5 TBs Chili Powder salt-free
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Blend the dates, garlic, red bell pepper and tomatoes in a blender until smooth and place into the Instant Pot.
- Place all remaining ingredients in Instant Pot and cook on high for 10 minutes.
- Let pressure release naturally or quick release and enjoy immediately.
- Serve over baked potato or have as is in bowls sprinkled with parmesan.
Amazon Shopping List
- Red Lentils
- Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- Pitted Dates
- Minced Garlic
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Parsley Flakes
- Smoked Paprika
- Chipotle Powder
- Crushed Red Pepper