One thing I have missed since I have gone dairy free is eating creamy soups. Here is a great recipe for a Creamy Vegan Broccoli Soup that is both Dairy Free & Gluten Free.
Vegan Broccoli Soup Dairy Free & Gluten Free
I have substituted coconut milk for dairy milk in many soups with great success. This recipe uses almond milk which I dearly love and I make my own nut milk. I use corn or potato starch for thickening. Check out how this soup is made then print off the recipe below. Enjoy.
Creamy Broccoli Soup Dairy Free & Gluten Free
- 8 tablespoons one stick Earth Balance butter replacer
- 8 tablespoons corn starch or flour if you can have gluten
- 4-5 cups unsweetened original almond milk (or other milk alternative that works well for you)
- 2 cups brocolli washed, steamed and patted dry
- 1 small onion minced
- 2-4 medium mushrooms finely chopped
- optional sea salt and pepper to taste
- Start by making a rue with the Earth Balance and corn starch or flour.
- Using a large pot, melt down the butter replacer to liquid and wait for it to start to bubble.
- Once this has happened add in a couple tablespoons of the flour at a time and whisk.
- Once it has all been added in, let cook just like that for 1 full minute before starting to add in the almond milk.
- In a separate pan, sauté the minced onions and optional mushrooms until fully cooked.
- Then transfer into the pot with the soup base.
- Use a stick blender or food processor to break down the cooked broccoli then mix into the soup. Turn the temperature on the burner to the lowest setting and let sit for 10 minutes before turning off.
- Let cool for a few minutes before serving.