I love Chocolate Cookies, how about you? These Flourless Mexican Dark Chocolate Cookies are gluten free and dairy free. Using cocoa powder makes these cookies so dark colored. For flavor you can use dark chocolate chips but I use the semi-sweet dairy free chocolate chips from Enjoy Life. They are my go to for baking needs. Enjoy life also has chocolate chips – all dairy free – in chunk sizes and dark morsels too!
You could make this recipe vegan by replacing the egg with a non dairy binder such as Bob’s Red Mill dairy free gluten free Egg Replacer or any other egg replacer on the market.
This recipe uses minced pecans but walnuts or peanuts would work just as well in this recipe. The nut butter is almond if you are wanting to try something other than peanut butter. This recipe also uses a bit of heat with cayenne pepper. But if you can’t take the heat, just leave it out. It will still be so yummy.
Cookies are a year round goodie in my household. But this chocolate cookie recipe will make a wonderful fall cookie or take them for holiday cookie exchanges.
Pictures below show the ingredients used and steps taken to make these yummy chocolate cookies. It’s so easy because everything is mixed in a food processor! The recipe follows at the end of the photos. Enjoy!
Recipe for Flourless Mexican Dark Chocolate Cookies:
Flourless Mexican Dark Chocolate Cookies
- Food Processor
- 3/4 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Cup Almond Butter
- 1/2 Cup Maple Syrup or Honey
- 1 large Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 Cup Chocolate Chips Dairy Free
- 1/4 Cup Pecans Finely Chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 F Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicone liner.In a food processor bowl, combine the cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cayenne pepper and pulse it for 5 seconds to get everything mixed in.Now add the almond butter, maple syrup, vanilla and an egg, and pulse it till it forms into a sticky dough.Dump the dough in to a large mixing bowl and add the mini chocolate chips and chopped pecans and gently fold it in.Using a 2 tablespoon measure, scoop the cookie dough into the prepared cookie sheet.Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Let it cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then finish cooling it on a wire rackServe immediately and store the leftover in an air thigh container.
These look really amazing. I’d probably go with maple syrup as I like that flavor and have never combined it with chocolate before. Does the choice of either honey or maple syrup make for different cookies? Is one crisper than the other?
And those cookie sheets look really cool for a fast clean up.
Hi Jay! You can use either Maple syrup or honey. Both being liquid sweeteners doesn’t really change the cookie texture. Also yes, I love using silicone cookie mats inside a cookie sheet for baking. SO much easier for clean up plus….it helps it not burn!