I love oatmeal for breakfast, and this recipe for Instant Pot (IP) Steel Cut Oats is so easy and healthy! Of course we use gluten free oats and plant milk so this is dairy free. We include flax meal and chia seed! And we add a touch of hemp hearts for extra garnish and flavor! (heating hemp hearts reduces their benefits so save those for the end just to sprinkle on after you have dished up the cooked oats). I tend to use a combination of almond and coconut milk, but I’ve yet to find a plant milk that isn’t super tasty in this! This is a fantastic make ahead meal and freezes quite well!
Livestrong states this about the superiority of Steel Cut Oats “Steel cut oats could be considered a ‘power food’ because they are an excellent source of protein, soluble and insoluble fiber. The benefits of steel cut oats exceed the benefits of rolled oats because of the way they are processed. Get that IP out and try this yummy Instant Pot (IP) Steel Cut Oats recipe! Here is what you will need, check out our recipe below.
Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats
- 1 cup steel cut oats organic
- ¼ cup chia seeds organic
- ½ cup flax meal organic
- 4 cups plant milk of choice Almond Milk
- Tablespoon or more hemp hearts to top
- fresh raspberries organic
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil organic
- Set the Instant Pot to the sauté setting on high and melt the coconut oil.
- Add in the steel cut oats and stir almost constantly for 2-3 minutes or until they start to smell nutty.
- Add the chia seeds and flax meal.
- Pour in the liquid and stir well for a full minute to ensure nothing is stuck to the bottom or clumped together..
- Twist on the locking lid. Cancel the sauté setting and select manual for 10 minutes high pressure.
- When the pot beeps indicating it is done cooking, let it slowly natural pressure release for an additional 10 minutes before switching to a quick release.
- When you open the lid there will be quite a bit of liquid on top and it may not look quite done, give everything a thorough stir and then let it rest for just a few minutes while it thickens. This works perfectly for us every time without sticking or burning to the bottom. Spoon the hot cereal into your favorite bowl and then top with raspberries and the hemp hearts.