A quinoa salad packed full of flavor and goodness!
I loved this recipe that was shared at a cooking class in Hawaii!
Tips on Gluten Free Quinoa:
If you have never eaten Quinoa I think you are in for a pleasant surprise. Quinoa is high in protein and is a wonderful grain to use if you are eliminating wheat or gluten from your diet. Cooked Quinoa can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and in the freezer for up to 3 months. You can flavor your grain by adding ingredients like minced garlic or ginger, bay leaves or crushed lemon grass as you cook the grain. For this recipe we add our seasonings after we cook the Quinoa. You can use either red or white Quinoa. Be sure to rinse your quinoa under water before cooking to remove any bitter flavor.
Quinoa Salad w/Grilled Veggies
A delicious and hearty quinoa salad
Servings: 6 servings
- 3 1/2 cups filtered water or vegetable broth
- 2 cups Quinoa or any grain or rice
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 3 1/2 cups assorted chopped grilled vegetables Onion, bell peppers, mushrooms, artichokes, brussel sprouts, corn, zuccini or your favorite
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives sliced
- 1/2 cup green onion sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs minced Your choice, parsley, basil, dill, chives, thyme, rosemary or any you prefer.
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 Tbl olive oil
- 1 Tbl soy sauce
- 1 Tbl maple syrup
- 1 Tbl Italian Spice Mix
- Mix marinade ingredients and marinade veggies an hour up to overnight
- Cook Quinoa: Wash Quinoa if purchased in bulk form. Place quinoa, salt and water or broth in a 3 qt pan and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cover. Cook approx 10 minutes. Liquid will absorb into the quinoa. If you have already cooked quinoa, use 5 1/2 cups cooked quinoa for this recipe. Place the cooked quinoa in large bowl.
- Grill Veggies: If you have gas burners...grill your veggies over the gas flame or roast your veggies in the oven until the vegetable is char marked and the item is heated through. Baste with marinade.
- Add all the other ingredients to the bowl with the quinoa and mix gently. Then add the sliced grilled veggies and toss.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste, Serve up and Enjoy!
Calories: 383kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 574mg | Potassium: 622mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 2890IU | Vitamin C: 113.3mg | Calcium: 92mg | Iron: 4.5mg