Tzimmes is a sweet vegetable dish, which makes an excellent addition to your Hanukkah feast. There are many different variations, but they are all made with root vegetables and dried fruit. This gluten free carrot Tzimmes recipe is a simplified version, made with baby carrots for an easier preparation. Carrot Tzimmes is vegan and gluten-free so all your guests can enjoy this sweet veggie side. This recipe makes about 4-6 servings, but is easily doubled or tripled for a larger crowd. You will not only love the way this traditional side dish tastes, it also smells incredible while cooking!
Carrot Tzimmes is as pretty as it is tasty. This recipe makes it easy for you to add some extra color and flavor to you Hanukkah table.
Vegan & Gluten Free Carrot Tzimmes
- 16 oz. baby carrots
- 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
- ¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup raisins
- In a medium pot, combine carrots, oil, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt – stir until carrots are thoroughly coated with mixture
- Add water and bring to a boil
- Turn heat to low, add raisins and cover and simmer until carrots are tender, about 15 – 20 minutes
- Remove lid and continue simmering, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid evaporates
- Remove carrots and raisins with a slotted spoon and transfer to serving dish