I love anything with mushrooms! In keeping with clean plant based eating, here is a delicious appetizer recipe using portobello mushrooms, my Garlic Lemon Double Stuffed Baby Portobello Mushrooms! Only 4 ingredients and oh so yummy.
Did you know how good mushrooms are for you? They are high in protein, help prevent inflammation, act as anitioxidants and the high fiber helps with heart health! I didn’t know that because their cells walls are undigestible unless exposed to heat, you must cook mushrooms to get their nutritional benefits.
According to Mercola.com mushrooms also –
- contain some of the most powerful natural medicines on the planet. About 100 species are being studied for their health-promoting benefits, and about a half dozen really stand out for their ability to deliver a tremendous boost to your immune system
- Nine recently presented studies on mushrooms detail a wide variety of health benefits, including: improved weight management, improved nutrition, increased vitamin D levels, and improved immune system function
- One of the active medicinal compounds found in Cordyceps has been identified as a potential cancer drug. More recent studies suggest it also has potent anti-inflammatory characteristics that may be helpful for those suffering from: asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, renal failure, and stroke damage
- It’s important to eat ONLY organically grown mushrooms because they absorb and concentrate whatever they grow in. Mushrooms are known to concentrate heavy metals, as well as air and water pollutants, so healthy growing conditions is a critical factor
- Mushrooms that can help boost the nutrient content of your diet include: shiitake, reishi, cordyceps, turkey tail, and Himematsutake.
I’m going to be expanding my tastes using some of these other mushrooms I’ve never heard of. I have used Lobster Mushrooms and oh they are tasty!
Recipe for Garlic Lemon Double Stuffed Baby Portobello Mushrooms:
Garlic Lemon Double Stuffed Baby Portobello Mushrooms
- 12 Baby Portobello Mushrooms
- 1 Lemon
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Remove stem from 6 mushrooms.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil in baking pan.
- Place mushrooms in baking pan.
- Place mushrooms in oven, and bake for 10-15 min or until tender.
- Cut remaining mushrooms into bite size pieces.
- Place mushroom pieces into saucepan.
- Mince garlic.
- Add garlic and olive oil to mushrooms.
- Bring mushrooms to medium heat and allow ingredients to simmer.
- Cut lemon in half and squeeze juice into sauce pan.
- Reduce to low heat and stir gently.
- Remove hollowed mushrooms from oven.
- Add mushroom mixture into oven baked mushrooms.
- (Optional) top with red pepper and sea salt.