Sometimes you find a Salad Recipe that works just as well as a stand-alone entree as it does as a side dish. That exactly describes this Late Summer Beet Salad. The beauty of this recipe is that you can substitute whatever vegetables you have on hand.
The ingredients listed here are selected based on their nutritional profile and the fact that they are in season right now, in late summer. Beets, however, are the unsung heroes of this dish. They are high in folate, potassium, and fiber, and have a delicious natural sweetness.
To make preparation easier, whenever I get home from the market I prepare my beets right away:
First, I cut the beet greens off, since they’ll leech moisture from the beets. Beet greens are delicious sauteed in some oil and garlic on their owns.
Next, I boil the beets for about 30 minutes to soften them. When they’re cool, I peel and trim them into bite-size pieces and throw them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Once your beets are prepared and ready, you can throw them into this delicious salad!
Summer beet salad
- 2 cups quinoa cooked until tender, drained, and cooled. Lay a piece of parchment or a silpat down on a baking sheet and spread out the quinoa to let it cool without getting soggy
- 1 cup beets boiled, peeled, and diced
- 1 cup yellow beats boiled until tender, diced into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup cooked or canned corn
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the quinoa and vegetables according to directions above.
- Whisk the dressing together. Start with the vinegar, then slowly add the oil, honey, and seasoning.
- Combine the quinoa, dressing, and vegetables in a large serving bowl. Carefully mix and add more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Garnish with chives or mint leaves and serve.
Recipe Bio: I’m Sarah White, Owner of Mindfully Frugal Mom, and I believe passionately that eating natural foods does not have to break the bank. I devote my time to creating a healthy lifestyle for my family while saving money. In my limited spare time I can be found having dance parties to musical theater with my 2 preschoolers.
I love beets, how about you? I hope you love this beet quinoa Salad!