Homemade Puppy Chow is a great snack that can be made really quickly for kids, parties, and potlucks! I was able to whip up an entire batch for my family in under 8 minutes! Plus, it’s made of inexpensive ingredients that are usually on hand. I can’t believe I never tasted Puppy Chow until a couple years ago! This is going to be a treat for my grandson who has so many food allergies!
This particular version is made with just rice squares to make it gluten-free. You could also add corn squares to add more texture. It is also important to use a dairy-free brand of Chocolate chips, like Enjoy Life brand, if being dairy free is important to you.
Dairy & Gluten Free Puppy Chow
- 8 cups any rice squares cereal (like Rice Chex)
- 1 cup chocolate chips – Enjoy Life is the brand I recommend
- 1/2 cup peanut or other nut butter such as sun butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup powdered sugar
1. In a medium sauce pan, melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil together.
2. When the chocolate is melted, turn the heat to low and gently stir in the peanut butter until it is mixed uniformly.
3. Pour the rice cereal into a large bowl, and drizzle the chocolate mixture over it. Stir gently until completely coated.
4. Lay the rice/chocolate mixture onto a baking sheet lined with wax paper or parchment paper. Try to keep it in a single layer.
5. Dust the powdered sugar over the whole thing.
6. Let cool, then store in an airtight container up to 4 days. It probably won’t last that long though!
Have you ever made puppy chow?