I love soups, and this recipe for Smooth Green Goddess Bisque is a wonderful fusion of healing spices and hearty vegetables that will rouse your tastebuds! The main ingredient of broccoli and the aromas of cumin and coconut milk make me want to dip in and have a bowl right now. This is a healthy brunch recipe which only needs some warm bread to go with it. And to make things even better this recipe uses an Instant Pot!
Dr Axe says this about Coconut Milk:
“With its creamy texture and slight natural sweetness, coconut milk might taste like something that should be bad for you, yet it’s anything but. Coconut milk is often considered a “miracle liquid” since coconut milk nutrition offers great ability to build up the body’s immune defenses and prevent disease.”
Take a look at these in process photos and try not to get hungry! The recipe follows the photos. Enjoy.
Smooth Green Goddess Bisque Recipe:
Smooth Green Goddess Bisque
- 1 head of fresh Broccoli chopped into clusters (about 3 cups - save the stems for another meal)
- 1 small bunch of Kale stripped of the thick stem and roughly chopped (about 5 sprigs)
- 1 5 oz. bag of Baby Spinach
- 1 tablespoon of Coconut or Olive Oil
- 1 medium sized Onion diced
- 3 fat cloves of Garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon of ground Cumin
- ½ teaspoon of Paprika
- 6 cups of Vegetable Stock
- 2 cups of Full Fat Coconut Milk
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Wash the broccoli, kale and spinach and keep aside
- Turn the Instant Pot (IP) on the “Sauté” mode, and add the oil, onions, garlic, cumin and paprika and salt and pepper and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes, till the onions caramelize.
- Turn off “Sauté” function. Add the broccoli and kale and the vegetable stock. Put the lid on, making sure that the pressure valve is in the “Sealing” position.
- Select the “Pressure Cook” mode and adjust the time, with the “ - / + ” to 5 minutes.
- When Instant Pot beeps, use the “Quick release” way to let release the pressure. Use a thick kitchen towel while releasing the pressure or you might burn yourself from the stream.
- Add the bag of baby spinach to the broccoli and mix it in. The stream will be enough to wilt the spinach.
- Now blend the soup either by using an immersion blender or regular blender. If using a regular blender, be careful as the content will be very hot.
- Return the soup to the instant pot. Turn on the “Sauté” mode.
- Add the coconut milk and simmer for 5 minutes. Also check for seasoning and adjust the salt and pepper accordingly.
- Serve hot with a drizzle of thick coconut milk or cream and some sliced nuts for texture (optional)
Calories: 166kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Sodium: 741mg | Potassium: 384mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 2310IU | Vitamin C: 38.3mg | Calcium: 54mg | Iron: 2.8mg
Thanks for the recipe. Perfect for this time of year!