Living a Vegan, DairyFree or GlutenFree lifestyle can still be delicious! These Shortbread Cookies are tender and yummy.
You can use cookie cutters or a unique rolling pin like the one I used! It is actually for ravioli making and I rolled slowly pressing down quite a bit in one direction and then again in a different direction to create a plaid look. But regular cookie cutters will work just as well. These are made with Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Gluten Free Flour mix.
Photos of putting the cookies together with recipe following the photos.
Recipe for Shortbread Cookies, Vegan and Glutenfree:
Shortbread Cookies, Vegan and Glutenfree
- 1 cup dairy free butter substitute
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 2 1/4 cups Bobs Red Mills 1 for 1 gluten free flour
- Pre heat your oven to 360 degrees
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream together the butter substitute, sugar, salt and maple syrup. Then slowly add in the flour. The batter should hold together nicely without being too wet, crumbly or sticky.
- Do a quick roll out into a basic ½ inch thick square piece of dough and chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Using a standard rolling pin, thin the dough to a little over ¼ of an inch and then
- place the dough still on parchment paper and on a tray in the freezer for 5-10 more minutes. Remove from the freezer and use a wheel cutter, like a pizza cutter, to cut the cookies. **Chilling the second time will help you achieve really clean lines and make everything easier to work with. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes depending on your oven. This time may vary by quite a bit depending on the size and thickness of the cookies so just keep a close eye on them and look for the edges to just start to turn golden. Allow to cool before enjoying.