This recipe for Savory Avocado Pastries can be used in so many ways. I use it for breakfast and top it with a cooked egg! These would be fun appetizers to spread the tops with vegan cream cheese and jam or salsa. You could top it with sliced tomatoes and sprinkle with basil. Yummmm
This recipe uses puff pastry which is not gluten free. But I have used Bob’s Red Mill pie pastry and it works just as good.
How would you serve these delicious pastries?
Recipe for Savory Avocado Pastries:
Savory Avocado Pastries
- 1 roll or sheet of your favorite boxed puff pastry or gluten free pie dough mix from Bob's Red Mill
- 2-3 ripe avocados
- Himalayan salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the avocado into pieces that are about 1/3 of an inch thick, remove pit and peel.
- Spread out the pastry dough and set the sliced avocado on top. Then use a sharp paring knife to cut about ¾ of an inch around the outside of the avocado. I also like to make small cuts around the inside portion of the avocado where the pit had been. This is not required, but will help that area puff up a bit more while baking if you are using puff pastry.
- If you are using pie crust pastry cut enough edging to wrap it up over the avocado.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until it has stopped puffing up (to make sure as many of the layers as possible have properly baked) and golden brown. Or til golden if using pie pastry.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and enjoy! Or use your imagination and top with any variety of fun yummy toppings.