You can still enjoy Chocolate Mousse giving up dairy! This recipe for Hot Chocolate Mousse makes my mouth just water! This recipe is gluten and dairy free. It can be made vegan by using maple syrup instead of honey for the sweetener. I prefer to use pure maple syrup most of the time for baking and cooking anyways.
We all make goof ups with recipes. Let me share one time that we made this recipe and everything separated and honestly looked like a bowl of gush-honestly not sure why. We all make mistakes when cooking! I let it rest for a few minutes and then decided to transfer it over into our Blendtec blender. The blender was also unsure of what to do with it at first, but after a solid minute of blending on medium it went from looking like all hope was lost one second, to literally the lightest, fluffiest dairy free mousse you’ve tasted. So, should things seem to have gone awry with your ingredients, give the blender a quick go at it before giving up.
But honestly this is a pretty straight forward recipe. I’ve got photos below of how to put it together with the recipe following. Enjoy!
Hot Chocolate Mousse
- 2 14 ounce cans of full fat coconut cream canned coconut milk will also work
- ¼ cup raw cacao butter cut into smaller pieces
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or raw honey at room temperature
- dash of quality salt
- marshmallows for toasting on top
- Chill the coconut cream over night to separate the solid from the liquid. Drain off the liquid and use in smoothies or however you like-just do not use it in this recipe. Set aside. Using a double boiler, melt down the cacao butter then remove from the heat and mix or whisk in the maple syrup or honey, cacao powder or cocoa and salt until well combined and smooth.
- Use a hand or stand mixer to whip the coconut cream, again, separate the liquid from solid and whip just the solids until you have an almost whipped cream like texture.
- Fold the whipped coconut cream into the chocolate until smooth.
- Spoon the mousse into your favorite dessert cups or a cheese cake like pan.
- Chill for one hour then remove from the pan, allow to warm a little bit before serving for a smoother texture (the coconut cream and cacao butter will harden again when cold, so they need a little time to relax). Carefully toast your marshmallows and add to the tops of the mousse.