Mold Exposure Symptoms
I usually associate mold exposure with old food and with a very damp climate outside. But, you can have it inside your home. Mold is a fungi and can be found on old foods or in your home walls or flooring!
Living in Montana for 20 years, having mold never even crossed my mind. Since Montana has such a dry climate. But since we have moved to Alaska, the thought of mold has crossed my mind more than once. Especially seeing black stuff on my windows!
I think of mold exposure as being found on old food or outside where it is damp but it can be inside your home! I just thought it would never happen to us. Mold growth is encouraged by warm and humid conditions. I never think of Alaska as warm, so thought we would never have problems. Then I started hearing about black mold.
Molds are found where high humidity levels occur such as basements or showers. There are many types of mold. We had a home in Anchorage, AK and it had been inspected and there was no mold when we purchased it.
Two years ago we had horrendous rains that flooded many basements. Our “crawl space” didn’t flood, but we had sump pumps down there that barely kept up with the water that was coming in.
And over the course of 1 year, when we decided to sell our home, the inspector found black mold! You can get a mold testing kit but our home inspector evidently knew this was black mold.
Mold Exposure Symptoms:
If you are sensitive to molds, they can cause nasal stuffiness, eye irritation, wheezing or skin irritation. A serious reaction could include fever and shortness of breath. You could even develop a lung infection due to mold.
BLACK MOLD is a toxic type of mold called Stachybotrys chartarum and can produce toxic mold health risks! Health risks from Black mold are:
Allergy causing Headaches or Migraines
Irritated & Itchy Eyes
Coughing or Excessive Phlegm
Blood in sputum
TOXICITY: can lead to blindness, brain damage, permanent memory loss, bleeding lungs, cancer and even death!