This recipe for Fig Breakfast Bake requires some planning but produces a fabulous fancy brunch that is vegan and gluten free! Perfect for Mother’s Day or any special breakfast.
Fig Breakfast Bake
You basically start out with a loaf of gluten free bread and let it dry out until it becomes crusty. This make take a day. Then you prepare the Bake Mixture the night before your serve this dish. ( You could add some smashed up Figs to the Bake Mixture also if you want ) Place the bread in a baking dish and put some of the Bake Mixture over the bread. Let the mixture sit on the bread about 20 minutes then turn the bread over and pour the rest of the mixture over the bread and *set the bread covered with the Bake Mixture in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning, you basically remove the bread and fry it like you would french toast. But after frying the bread you put it in a baking dish and bake 10 minutes. Serve this delicious Breakfast Bake with freshly sliced figs and maple syrup! YUM. Photos follow for how to prepare this dish and the recipe follow the photos. Enjoy!
Recipe for Fig Breakfast Bake:
Fig Breakfast Bake - Vegan Gluten Free
- 1 loaf gluten free bread
- 2-3 tablespoons worth coconut oil for crisping the sides the next day.
- Bake Mixture:
- 3.5 cups of your preferred dairy free nut milk we tend to use a vanilla almond milk. This should be warm when mixing.
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup flax meal
- Handful of fresh figs sliced and more maple syrup for day of serving.
- We used a loaf of gluten free bread from a local baker
- Cut it into 1 inch thick pieces and allow it to dry out until it became crusty.
- Combine the Bake Mixture: warmed dairy free milk and flax meal, stir or shake well and allow the mixture to thicken for about 10 minutes.
- Add the maple syrup and fig and again mix well.
- This can be mixed ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days.
- The night before or about 10-12 hours before we plan to eat, we coat both sides of the bread with the Bake Mixture, do keep in mind that more or less may be needed depending on the size of the loaf of bread you use.
- So the evening before you plan to make the Fig Breakfast Bake, pour some of the Bake Mixture into the bottom of an oven safe dish that fits all of the sliced bread with a cut side up (as you would with garlic bread). Then lay out a single layer of the sliced bread and pour the rest of the liquid needed onto the bread. Allow the bread to soak up the liquid for about 20 minutes and then flip the bread over. Make sure the surface of both cut sides has a coat of liquid on it.
- *Cover and refrigerate for about 10 to 12 hours.
- The next morning or early afternoon (brunch) When getting ready to serve;
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Also heat a large nonstick pan to medium with a generous amount of coconut oil.
- Take the soaked bread out of the refrigerator and fry each side, just as you would French toast. Place the fried bread slices in the baking dish. This may need to happen in multiple batches. Then bake the dish for 10 minutes.