It is that time of year when I begin to crave pot pies or mini pies. I am sharing this yummy recipe for Creamy Chicken Mini Pies that are dairy free and gluten free.
Creamy Chicken Mini Pies – Dairy Free Gluten Free
I have a friend who swares by Kite Hill (Whole Foods exclusive at this time) for their dairy alternative. Living in Alaska we don’t have a Whole Foods so I haven’t been able to try Kite Hill! I use Daiya or Toffuti brands for my dairy free alternatives. They work and taste great. You can follow along with the how to pictures below and then find the full recipe after the photos. I am sure you will love these pies. I make my own gluten free pie crust using Bob’s Red Mill Pie Crust Mix.
Recipe for Creamy Chicken Mini Pies:
Dairy Free Creamy Chicken Mini Pies
- 1 pound quality chicken breast - organic
- dash of organic olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons quality thyme this is a huge part of the flavor, you can certainly opt to add in more or less as you prefer.
- 2/3 of a cup of dairy free cream cheese spread.
- 1 pie crust - Gluten Free and/or Dairy Free *Pillsbury’s packaging is listed as dairy free but NOT gluten free. I use Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Pie Crust Mix.
- Sautee the onions until translucent and starting to caramelize with the garlic and olive oil. I prefer to add the thyme at this time. Add the chicken brown and cook until just cooked through.
- Turn off the heat, add in the dairy free cream cheese, cover and let rest for about five minutes.
- You can then either pull the chicken part or put everything into the mixer with the whisk attachment. If opting for the mixer, I would recommend placing a towel over the top to keep everything from splattering (even the Kitchenaid splatter guard tends to not be enough). But using the Kitchenaid is my preferred method as it only takes about a minute to break down all of the chicken and perfectly combine the filling.
- Roll out the pie crusts and cut to fit your mini pie plates, tart pans or set the pie crust into little cups
- Fill with chicken mixture, place the top crust on and then pinch the edges closed.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 15 to 17 minutes or until evenly golden brown and sizzling. *Please note that the actual cook time will vary widely depending on the size, shape and thickness of the mini pies you make. Allow to cool for a few minutes before enjoying.