It is wonderful to find a way to make a calzone gluten free! This veggie calzone recipe is not only gluten free but dairy free! So you can use whichever products you may be needing for your food allergies.
Kite Hill ricotta was used in this veggie calzone recipe, is 100% dairy free and made with Almonds. It is a fantastic option for those that need or want to be dairy free. Please note Kite Hill is exclusive to Whole Foods at this time. You could also replace the ground meat with a ground meat alternative.
Check out the photos below on who these were made, then copy the recipe listed below! Enjoy.
Veggie Calzone: Gluten Free Dairy Free
- 1 gluten free pizza dough larger vs smaller
- 1 pound quality ground meat You could use any vegan hamburger alternative
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup steamed sweet potatoes
- ¼ to ½ cup steamed broccoli
- 2-4 cloves of garlic minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ¾ cup ricotta I used Kite Hill ricotta that is 100% dairy free and made with Almonds. It is a fantastic option for those that need or want to be dairy free. Do note that this brand is exclusive to Whole Foods at this time.
- Brown and scramble the meat OR veggie alternative in a large non stick pan until cooked through.
- While that is cooking, blend or puree the onion, garlic and sweet potatoes together until you have a smooth consistency.
- Pour into the pan to cook along with the meat for a few minutes.
- Toss or stretch the dough to your desired thickness and place on a greased pizza sheet.
- Transfer the cooked filling onto half of the dough then fold the other half over the top to make a pocket.
- Pinch the edges tightly closed and then make a few cuts in the top for steam to escape.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 14 to 16 minutes or until golden and the crust is hard when you carefully tap on it.
- Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting into it.