Are you craving Baked Potato Latkes? With Chef, Mark Reinfeld’s permission I am sharing this recipe with you! I learned so much from him when I took an intensive 10 day course from him. I just found out and wanted to share with my everyone that Mark’s newly released cookbook, “The 30 Minute Vegan’s Taste of Europe”, has been named one of the top 5 Cookbooks by Vegetarian Times for 2012! Congrats to you Mark Reinfeld.
Baked Potato Latkes
- 1 large russet potato peeled and grated (2 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon minced yellow onion
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon white spelt flour
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds mixed with 3 tablespoons water
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- A pinch of crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika optional, try smoked
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place all of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. You can speed this process up by using the grater attachment on a food processor for the potatoes.
- Scoop approximately 1/4 cup of the mixture for each latke on to a very well-oiled baking sheet. Flatten to approximately 1/4-inch thick. Bake for 8 minutes.
- Flip the pancakes and bake, until golden brown, approximately 8 minutes before serving.
- Serve with Vegan Sour Cream or Apple Sauce
Make smaller latkes by using 2 tablespoons, instead of 1/4 cup of the batter in each pancake.
Replace 1 cup grated potato with grated sweet potato or yam.
Add 1 tablespoon of minced fresh dill, parsley, or basil.
Add 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion.
Add 1 clove pressed or minced garlic and 1/2 teaspoon seeded and diced chile pepper.
1/2 cup peeled and grated parsnip or carrot.
Create Italian latkes by adding 1 tablespoon Italian Spice Mix
Go Mexican by adding 1 tablespoon minced cilantro and 1 teaspoon each of chile powder and cumin.
Add 1/2 cup grated vegan cheese for an over the top latke experience.
For a gluten-free version replace the spelt flour with brown rice flour.
Vegan Sour Cream
3/4 cup vegan mayonnaise (Vegenaise or home made)
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon minced fresh dill or a pinch of dried dill, optional
Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.