I’m always on the hunt for desserts that will get rave reviews but don’t involve a ton of time in the kitchen. These Crunchy Scotcharoos are right on target! My friend Sarah has made them so many times she’s lost count, and each time she brings them to a picnic, party, or event, they are the favorite dessert! There never are any leftovers. They really couldn’t be easier to make — a few minutes at the stovetop but no baking.
That’s not to say this is a healthy recipe or easy on the waistline – there is plenty of sugar in here to make anyone’s sweet tooth happy! But for an occasional treat, Crunchy Scotcharoos are perfect and fun! Kids love them too. Thanks Sarah for sharing this recipe!
Gluten-Free Scotcharoos Recipe
- 6 cups GlutenFree crispy rice cereal
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup Karo Syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips (Enjoy Life is a good brand)
- 1 cup butterscotch chips (many store brands are dairy-free but read the package to be sure). If you can’t find dairy free butterscotch chips then you can double the amount of chocolate chips.
- In a large saucepan, heat the karo syrup and sugar on medium heat, stirring gently until the syrup and sugar are combined. Add the peanut butter and stir until combined.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the rice cereal; stir until all the rice cereal is mixed in with the peanut butter mixture.
- Spread the rice cereal mixture into a 13″x9″ pan.
- In a small saucepan, add the chocolate and butterscotch chips. Stir on medium heat until all the chips are melted. Be careful to watch the pan and keep stirring so they don’t burn!
- Using a spreading knife, spread the chocolate/butterscotch mixture over the rice cereal mixture. Refrigerate to cool quickly. Serve when cool.
Store covered, up to 7 days.
When are you going to make this Gluten-Free Scotcharoos Recipe?