Rhubarb is great juiced or cooked in sauces or pie filling. I have used it with blueberries or strawberries and it is a fabulous cobbler. Here is my DIL’s recipe for Rhubarb Raspberry Crisp. We enjoy it Luna & Larry’s Vegan ice cream.
We freeze a lot of our fruit for winner jam and cobblers. Here in Alaska, Rhubarb seems to grow like a weed and so do raspberries. So we have an abundance to pick and store. My Rhubarb I have babied everyplace I have lived since the original cutting came from my parents homestead in North Dakota. Each new location from Oregon, California, Montana and now Alaska I have dug a cutting, for and, from each home and it has thrived. Now my DIL has two cuttings of the plant and she’s already putting up Rhubarb from a 2nd year growth.
Rhubarb-Raspberry Crisp Recipe
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 Tbsp instant tapioca
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 4 cups rhubarb cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup gluten free flour
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- ½ cup coconut oil melted
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, tapioca, cornstarch and salt.
- Place rhubarb and raspberries into bowl making sure to completely coat them with dry ingredients.
- Pour into baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, melt the coconut oil
- Mix in brown sugar, flour and oats.
- Spread on top of the fruit mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until rhubarb is tender.
My DIL is a fabulous cook and shares many of her recipes. This recipe of hers is provided by Becky Fowler who cooks dairy-free, gluten-free, soy-free, nut-free for her son. Becky has 2 small children and loves to sew and crochet in her spare time and can be found at Sew Need It. You can request specific items you would like sewn or crocheted for yourself, friends or family gifts!