Have you been looking for a light but fun Christmas Cookie? You have to try our Meringue Drops! They look elegant and taste so sweet and they are dairy and gluten free!
Meringues are not as difficult as they look or even sound for preparing. If you are worried about getting sticky Meringue Drops, the trick is to leave them in the oven after done cooking or bake them longer. The sugar will pull moisture from the air making meringue sticky. Some people bake their meringue only 30 minutes then leave them in the oven turned off. Our recipe calls for a longer baking time to make sure they are not sticky. Another key is to bake them on very low heat. You will know when they are done when tapped they sound hollow and when they come off parchment paper easily and don’t stick and the bottoms are dry. They can be stored in an airtight container will keep for up to two weeks.
Here are photos of how we put ours together. The recipe follows the photos.
Recipe for Meringue Drops:
- 3 Egg whites from large room temperature eggs
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons pure vanilla or pure maple extract
- 1/2 tsp distilled white vinegar
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats
- Separate the egg whites and yokes.
- Place the whites into the bowl for your mixer and turn on to medium. The whites will start to turn frothy and then become white and thick. Continue whipping the egg whites until they are able to stand up on their own and form soft peaks.
- Very slowly add in just a couple tablespoons of the sugar at a time along with the extract and vinegar.
- The meringues are done when they form really stiff peaks and the texture is completely smooth (no sugary grit left).
- Use a pastry bag or a zip close style plastic bag with a small corner cut off to pipe the cookies onto the lined trays.
- Bake for about 90 to 110 minutes (at 200 degrees) , you do not want the meringues to change color-but you do want them to be hollow sounding when you tap them.
- If they are still tacky to the touch or do not just slide off the parchment paper then they are not done inside and will need more time. Allow the cookies to fully cool on a wire rack.