These old fashioned donuts with frosting are dairy and gluten free. So tasty, that just one isn’t enough!
Old Fashioned Donuts, Gluten and Dairy Free
I have been craving donuts! Nutpods Dairy-Free Creamer contacted me to try their product, and I thought their product would make very rich tasting gluten free donuts. I used the French Vanilla in this recipe and oh they are delicious!
I used a gluten free donut mix from King Arthur Flour. I did substitute some things for what is asked for on the donut box mix. You’ll have to check the recipe below for what I did. Then I made a simple vanilla frosting using organic maple syrup that I bought while I was in NY! It is so much cheaper to buy maple syrup straight from the farms! I bring them home and freeze them, using the maple syrup as needed. These donuts are so yummy!
Check out the recipe and ingredients below for both the Old Fashioned Donuts and the Dairy Free Frosting!
There are so many options to make these simple donuts so special. Next time try adding lavender in the donut mix and frosting batter. Or other flavors to try would be apple spice…mmmm.
Old Fashioned Donuts with Frosting, Dairy and Gluten Free
- 1 box King Arthur Gluten Free Donut Mix
- 1/4 cup butter or dairy free alternative coconut oil or earth balance
- 2 T oil - I used safflower oil
- 2 large eggs organic
- 1 cup milk I used 1/2 cup soy milk & 1/2 cup french vanilla flavored Nutpods dairy-free creamer
- 2 Tablespoons hard coconut milk on top of the can of canned coconut milk. I use brand Chaokoh
- 1 Tablespoon pure organic maple syrup
- 1 tsp organic Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- lavender sugar sprinkles any of your favorite cake sprinkles
- Mix the ingredients listed above for the donut which includes the box of donut mix and other ingredieints.
- It is recommended to put the batter in a ziploc baggie or pasty bag and pipe the batter into donut baking pans. I was able to use spoon but it took longer.
- Bake as directed on donut box, remove and cool completely before frosting.
- Mix with hand mixer all the ingredients listed for the frosting. If the frosting is too thin, add more powdered sugar. If the frosting is too thick add a bit more maple syrup.
- Spread over cooled donuts.
- Then sprinkle frosting with cake decorations of your choice.
Kimberly “kaflickinger73” Flickinger says
I love homemade donuts and I especially love that these are gluten and dairy free. I definitely going to try this recipe.
Kimberly “kaflickinger73” Flickinger says
I love homemade donuts and I especially love that these are gluten and dairy free. Thank you for sharing.
These look so good! I never would have guessed they were gluten and dairy free based on looks alone!
Amber Ludwig says
Mmm!! What a delicious sweet treat!! I have never made them homemade but I would love to try it!!
The donuts looks perfect for all donut lovers, including me. thanks for sharing.
They look absolutely delicious!
Lauryn R says
Yum! This donut recipe sounds absolutely delicious, I can’t believe that it’s gluten AND dairy free! 🙂 Thank you so much for sharing!
Colleen Fowler says
Lauryn and its actually delicious!
I love donuts. these look very yummy
This is an interesting recipe.
I love nutpods as a coffee creamer. The donuts look fantastic and fairly easy to make.
Oooo Nutpods would be good as a creamer 🙂
Mary Songer says
So many people these days are going gluten free. It is good that I can go on blogs like yours and find recipes that will be special and tasty for those people. Thanks.
I aim to please Mary!
Thank you for the recipe.
Oh, I adore French vanilla! Must give this a try soon!!!
Christy Peeples DuBois says
I love donuts especially when they are warm but I have never tried to make any. Now that I have a recipe I may change that fact. Thanks for sharing.
Absolutely adore this! I love how you could add your own twist to your doughnuts, and this just looks super delicious. Will definitely need to try making this!
Michelle james says
Would use it for boat money!
You had me at donut! These sound delicious.
Thanks so much for joining Thoughts of Home on Thursday. We are thrilled to have you. Pinned. 🙂
I don’t have to eat Gluten free but I would still try this recipe. I love King Flour products.Thank you!
Terry Poage says
These look so good I had to copy the recipe.
Michael Howell says
Looks great to me. Nice recipe!
Megan L says
I’ve never made donuts before, but those look great!
These donuts look really good! I LOVE Nutpods and use them every morning in my coffee!
christy caldwell says
Oh my goodness!! Yes! Thanks for this. I bet these are heavenly. I love French vanilla.
Kim O says
i love donuts
I love homemade donuts! After trying them homemade the donut shop ones don’t seem so great to me anymore.