With all the excess of the holidays, this festive yet healthy side dish is a refreshing addition to the Christmas menu. Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Red Pepper is a simple yet elegant dish to serve your company, or take along to a holiday potluck. The green and red colors of the veggies are perfect for the season and the addition of sliced almonds adds a nice touch of white, and a nice crunch. The flavors work very well together. Roasted Chestnuts would be a festive change out for the almonds.
Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Red Pepper
If you can get fresh brussel sprouts in season at Christmastime, by all means use fresh, but if you can’t, frozen works well in this recipe. Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Red Pepper is an easy to prepare holiday dish that just could become a new Christmas tradition.
Did you know brussels sprouts are an ideal food if you’re looking for something that’s hearty yet low in calories. One cup of cooked Brussels sprouts contains just 56 calories but is packed with more than 240 percent of the recommended daily amount (RDA) for vitamin K1, and nearly 130 percent of the RDA for vitamin C. They even contain protein! And lets not forget about all that good fiber you get, good for heart health and GI health.
Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Red Pepper Recipe:
Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Red Peppers
- 12 oz. frozen brussel sprouts
- 1 red bell pepper
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Slice bell pepper into thin strips then cut again into 1 inch pieces
- On a baking sheet combine brussel sprouts and red pepper pieces
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt
- Sprinkle sliced almonds over sheet
- Roast in oven until brussel sprouts and pepper are tender, about 40-45 minutes